Visiting the Karkloof as a group of mates in Summer? If you’re stuck indoors due to rain, here are some of our ideas to keep boredom at bay while you wait for it to clear…
- Gastrofeast EGGstraordinaire: It’s only really while you are on holiday that you can relax. Even when opting to self-cater. Shop for some fresh local produce at the Karkloof Farmers Market (held every Saturday morning in town) and set about planning an elaborate day of feasting. Why not up the cooking ante and do a lucky draw for each person to choose a course? Each lodge sports a Big Green Egg for some seriously upmarket entertaining!
- Catch up on some reading: The veranda of each lodge offers the perfect place to unwind with a good book, although the fireplace in Rockwood Forest Lodge is also a very popular spot to relax in front of. Yes, we use the fireplace even in November!
- Indulge your inner kid with some board games, Foosball or Table Tennis (at Rockwood Farm House only). Loser cooks – or is it the winner? We’re not sure!
- Tour the Midlands Meander. Who doesn’t enjoy a spot of shopping? It certainly cheers up most of us!
- Get outside and get dirty: Set off on foot and explore the Karkloof Nature Reserve’s indigenous forest through any of our self-guided hikes. Or, hop on your Mountain-Bike. The Karkloof is well-known for its scenic riding beauty and our backyard is a real contender for beautiful Mountain-Biking rides. Enjoy our 20km track, consisting of single track, Jeep and forest track, designed by World Champs designer, Nick Floros.