Summer is traditionally the wet, rainy season in the KZN Midlands and the Karkloof has seen a fair amount of rain already this year, although we never complain! While there is DSTV in most of our lodges, we suggest you pack a “rainy day box” if you’re coming to stay with us for a few nights. Include new puzzles and activity books, board games and cards. Here are some other rainy day activity ideas.
- Stage a Foosball and Table Tennis tournament at Rockwood Farm House – with the obligatory prize giving, of course!
- Hike for bugs along the streams, especially those around Rockwood Mountain Lodge and Forest Lodge. Pack a net and “inspect and release”.
- Plan a day trip to the Midlands Meander. A must do on the itinerary is The Candle Dipping Shop where your children will be entertained for hours while you browse around the offerings of the KZN locals.
- Another stopover to include in your Midlands Meander itinerary is Chocolate Heaven. Chocolate – enough said!
- Hi-Fly Kites in Merrivale. When the rain stops, your kids are going to want to get outside and play!
- Get outside and play…Dress comfortably, put on some Wellies and a raincoat and explore the farm or indigenous forest of the Karkloof Nature Reserve. It’s worth getting wet for!